Tests you have done are normally processed at the laboratories at University Hospital of North Durham. This will take a few days, following which they will be returned to our surgery for comment by your doctor.
The result should usually be ready for you 7 days after having your tests.
Please could you telephone the surgery for your results on: 01913846171 between 2.00pm - 4.00 pm Monday – Friday
If your result is normal you will be given the result over the telephone by one of the reception staff. If the doctor needs to speak to you about the result, you will be asked to either make an appointment with the doctor or will be asked to ring back at a mutually convenient time.
The most common tests are described below:
- FBC- A test looking at the blood cells, often used to exclude anaemia
- ESR- A test that looks for inflammation in the body
- U & E- Testing for the kidney function and salts in the body
- LFT- Tests the liver function and inflammation
- TFT- Tests the activity of the thyroid gland
- CHOLESTEROL/LIPIDS- Measures the fatty levels in the blood
- LH/FSH- Measures hormone levels raised after the menopause
- MSU- A test looking for infection in the bladder
- URATE- A test for gout
- IM/GLANDULAR FEVER- Specific tests for glandular fever
- HBA1C- Measures the average sugar level over the last few weeks and months
- ANTENATAL BLOODS- Blood group/rubella immunity and specific infections
- AUTOANTIBODIES/RHEUMATOID FACTOR- Tests for proteins that result in damage to specific tissues in the body
- SWABS- Tests that detect whether an infection is present and if detected which antibiotic is appropriate